This was my little project this past weekend. About a year ago, I saw a post on a favorite blog of mine: Lovely Little Handmades. Her little pincushions were so adorable, I had to have one of my very own. It took me a while to find JUST the right planter. And then I had to explain to the younger girls at work that these little critters were common fifty years ago. The baby themed versions were often to be found in hospital gift shops, to be presented to new mommas. Most people of a certain age have a shelf of them somewhere. You couldn’t throw them away – they were gifts! Now, I will grant that some of them are much cuter than others. In fact, I’ve seen more than one that was downright creepy. But I really like this little lamb. And I’ll walk you through how he went from planter to pincushion.
My little lamp isn’t terribly big. About 8 inches long by 4 inches wide, and maybe 6 inches tall. The opening for the planter function is correspondingly small. So I grabbed some of my 1/2″ hexie papers. I like to have a few hand projects available. When my youngest child is up, it’s hard for me to get out my sewing machine and even worse if I have to have my iron available. This little project was something to have in my hands on a lazy summer weekend.
The weekend isn’t the only thing that was lazy. I’m inherently lazy. I glue baste. Shhhh. Don’t tell. I did a quick bit of math and decided that 10 hexies would probably be enough to cover my opening. For a quick tutorial on making and stitching tiny hexies, go see Pretty By Hand.
These are made from scraps from the recent Pam Kitty Garden line of fabrics. The hexies are SO tiny, it’s hard to even get a feel for some of the fabrics if their scale isn’t also very tiny. But I do like the colors.
I laid them out to get a pleasing arrangement (without putting two next to each other that were too close in color), and sewed them together. Once I had a small block of hexies – this one ended up with a center strip 4 hexies tall and 3 on each side. Then I stuffed the planter firmly with polyfil, and placed the fabric block over the top. (Make sure you take all the papers out, first!) I made sure the fabric got tucked under the edges of the planter opening by running around the edge with the back of a spoon. Then I pressed the fabric down a bit, ran a bead of hot glue around the edge, and let the fabric get pushed back up by the polyfil to adhere. There are probably other ways to attach it, but this was a little quick and dirty.
There you have it! If you find your own planter and turn it into a pincushion, share a picture with me!