Do you ever have one of those little periods where it feels like everything catches up with you at once? And then YOU have to get caught up, once you’re done dealing? Yep, that happened.
First, my camera died. Not too much sadness on my part, as I’d had it for 15 years and it owed me nothing. I was anticipating it’s demise and saving for something new. I’ve now upgraded from my old Kodak EasyShare to a Nikon d3300. There is a learning curve and I am WAY at the bottom. It took me a week to figure out how to use the LCD screen as a few finder. Stop laughing.
Then I had to scramble to finish Halloween costumes. The Simplicity version of the new Cinderella gown is very pretty, but put together a bit strangely. The separate bodice and skirt construction requires a separating zipper. Not a common item in my neck of the woods. To make things worse, I ordered the size specified by the pattern – and when I got the bodice put together it was much, much too long. I know how to shorten a regular zipper. But I’m not sure there’s a good way to shorten a separating zipper. I ordered another – and it turned up around 2 PM on Halloween.
In the end, this happened:
I made some modifications to the pattern. Rather than the organza overlay called for on both the skirt and the drape around the neckline, I chose to do another layer of tulle. I really like how the skirt came out – each layer of tulle was a different color – dark blue, medium blue, light blue, lavender, and blue sparkle tulle. But, in hindsight, the drape would have been better in organza. Either way, my daughter loved it. The butterflies were from Hobby Lobby, and I simply hot-glued them in place.
And the younger one could not be left out. She had no actual opinions as to what she wanted to be. But did seem to like her costume, in spite of her expression in the picture. She wore the costume around for two days. Since I’d expected to have to fight her to get her into it and struggle all night to keep her from trying to strip it off – win!
My pouty little fairy:
Again, I used the Simplicity pattern – this time from the Disney Fairies. I was quite pleased at how it came together. The wings, in particular, turned out much better than I anticipated.
Once Halloween was passed, I started trying to catch up on my Farmer’s Wife quilt. I’m still four blocks behind, as of today. Likely to be five blocks behind by the time I get the opportunity to work on it on Tuesday. But that’s OK. I’m still learning the camera. I forgot to reset the white balance for shade when I took these and had to adjust them in Photoshop. The colors are not so true, but reasonably close. Once again, fabrics are mostly Pam Kitty with some other Lakehouse Drygoods, Moda Modern Minis, and Vintage Market thrown in. And I think some Penny Rose, too. (Yes, I’m a bit out of order. As I say, I’m trying to catch up)
A few of my points are off a smidgen, but I’m improving. In fact, I’m planning a post on tips for improving accuracy, as I learn, myself.
Fussy cutting wasn’t so useful when my little girls on bikes were just a bit too big for the squares. And one of my triangles got turned the wrong direction. But again, I’m getting happier with my points.
Again, a little tiny bit off just at the center, but rather better than I anticipated. I do love the Marti Michell templates.
The main fabrics here are grey – less blue than they read.
Off by a few threads here and there, but I’d ripped this one out about 4 times before I got this close. I had just gotten a new foot with a 1/4″ guide on it. And it took me a while to learn that I need to see a little daylight between the guide and my fabric to get a scant 1/4″.
I was very happy that I got Susannah to come out so well on the first go-round.
And there we are. Hopefully there will be more blocks from me later in the week. I’m also hoping to share a new project or two with you all!